Thursday, September 4, 2008

24 Weeks 4 day

I failed!!! The blood glucose test was today and I bombed. My blood sugar was supposed to be under 150 after 1 hour post sugary orange drink... Mine was 171. So it's off to the three hour test. I had the same issue with Zack but passed the three hour. I go back in next Wednesday. I'll drink the same orange stuff and they'll check my blood sugar once an hour for 3 hours. I guess I'll get to catch up on some reading. I'm not too concerned either way. If I fail the 3 hour and have gestational diabetes, then I'll deal with it. Basically it's just keeping carbs and sugar restricted and monitoring blood sugar....I can do that, no problem. My weight was bad too. She mentioned it, but was not too hard on me about it. She just reminded me that I don't want to be having a 10 pound baby... No I do not. She said that Zack was a tiny baby, but this is a different pregnancy with very different circumstances so I should try to watch it from this point forward.

At our next appointment they will be doing another ultrasound to measure his growth to make sure he is on target. I have 2 weeks left of the prednisone and after that the only meds I'll be on is for blood pressure. My Blood pressure has been great, by the way, 120/74 at this visit.

She also told me that starting at 32 weeks I will be getting weekly biophysical profiles. They are basically a non stress test and fetal ultrasound that measure for specific things. For the non stress test they put a belt over your belly to monitor the heart rate and you have to push a button everything time the baby moves. If I remember correctly form the hundreds that I had with Zack, it's about 20-30 minutes of monitoring. After that they give an ultrasound and they check to see if the baby is practice breathing, accelerating heartbeat with movement and amount of amniotic fluid and a few other things. There is some sort of point system and if you pass, baby gets to gestate another week. If you fail, you get a trip to Labor& Delivery for another evaluation. Zack was induced at 38 weeks due to a failed biophysical profile....

This high risk pregnancy stuff is a blast, no? All kidding aside, I'm so greatful that I have such a cautious and wonderful Doc and I am willing to do whatever it takes to get Stitch here safe and sound. We are getting there.

Next Appointments:
September 10th - 3 hour Gestational Diabetes test
October 2nd 28 weeks - Growth Check Ultrasound
October 16th 30 weeks
October 30 32 weeks - 1st Bio-physical profile

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This has been sooooo long and sooo short. I can't wait for mini man to just get here. I remember the belt test - I think I was there with you for one with Zack. Stitch is playing soccer in your belly, isn't he?

e.

Anonymous said...

KEEP STUDYING FOR THOSE TESTS! Remember the Midvale school for the gifted.
Peeka/Bugga