Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Zack Update

I recently "discovered" that Brian had two issues that contributed to his death. One was the severe CHD (Coronary Heart Disease) that that Medical Examiner's office informed me about when they called to give me the results of his autopsy. The other was listed on his death certificate. Specifically he had a Bicuspid Aortic value. Until recently I didn't know what that meant or that it even meant anything. They way they had the cause of death listed made it sound like the heart disease was in the aortic valve... I recently read that a Bicuspid Aortic valve is actually a congenital heart defect. I could not believe that for the last 5 years I have had no idea!! After doing some research, I read that it there is a about a 10-17% chance that the defect will be found in the 1st level relative (child, sibling) of someone who has the defect. It is the most common congenital heart defect, any not usually diagnosed until later in life and in many cases cause no problems. However, for those that have have risk factors (obese, smoking, inactive etc.) it can accelerate the damage done. It's pretty well known that Brian had about all of the risk factors for heart disease, it was just so puzzling that they would be severe enough to kill him at 33. The Bicuspid Aortic valve "discovery" is the missing piece of the puzzle. Here is a pretty good summary that I found on e-medicine:

http://www.emedicine.com/PED/topic2486.htm

Needless to say I called Zack's pediatrician. She said she had never noted a murmur or had any reason to believe that there would be an issue, but suggested that we get an echo cardiogram to make sure. Erik, Zack and I went to the Children's Heart Clinic in St. Paul today. After 30 minutes on the table getting his "heart movie" made and watching Star Wars on the DVD player he was done. The Tech had us wait in the room while he got the Cardiologist. She came in and told us there was no need to keep the second part of the appointment. Zack heart was normal and his aortic values are NORMAL.

I think I had convinced myself that he did have the defect because I was a little surprised by the overwhelming relief I felt. Erik was relieved too, but I think his practical approach to things helps him from worry too much until there is an actual reason to worry. As for Zack, his response was "I told you my heart wasn't sick!" I guess he told us!

I think part of the reason for my response is that since he was born I have had the nagging worry that what happened to Brian would happen to Zack too. Brian's death seem like such a freakish event and I had no idea how to protect my baby from the same thing happening to him. Well I now know that while there are never any guarantees in life, he now has the same shot as any other kid and somehow that cloud has lifted a bit.

YEA ZACK!!!!

I'm off to "study" for my 3 hour glucose test tomorrow. I'll update when I get the chance.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

He is perfection. But we all knew that.

e.

Tracy said...

YEA ZACK!!! So happy to hear everything is just the way it should be!!!

T

Anonymous said...

No wonder that was such a relief! That nagging underlying worry of losing another loved one so suddenly has to be agonizing. May your heart be free to enjoy knowing Zack is not at any more risk than any other kid, and that you've got the missing piece to the Brian puzzle. I hope Stitch is doing well!
Karmen